Thursday 5 December 2013

Malcolm Campbell masonic letter for sale







This wonderful letter from Malcolm Campbell - the racer who gained various land and water speed records through the 1920s and 1930s - shows that he was guilty about being seen as a bad Freemason.

The letter is being sold by International Autograph Auctions and has an estimate of £100 - £120.

It is dated January 8, 1926, and is addressed to Brother Beachcroft at 21, Great Queen's Street, London.

In it Campbell thanks his correspondent for his letter and adds 'I am very glad that you have not formed the opinion that I am a “bad mason” ', continuing 'Things seem to be getting worse instead of better, as every night I seem to be leaving business later than ever.'

Campbell further encloses a cheque (no longer present) for £10.10.0 made payable to the Masonic Hospital and Nursing Home, remarking 'I am pleased to note that even this small subscription will be a welcome contribution. I sincerely hope that this will enable W. M. How to bring the total to 100 gns. If he is unable to do this I will be prepared to assist still further, as I feel that I have so far done nothing in this connection since I have been a mason.'

Campbell's son Donald was also a Mason and an article about them and masonry can be seen here.


No comments:

Post a Comment